Ideally your teeth will stay white for many, many years, but some foods are just too delicious to give up entirely. Certain foods and drinks can severely stain your teeth, necessitating an in-office whitening treatment from our best cosmetic dentist in Beverly Hills. Some of the top offenders for staining teeth include:
• Wine: This is an acidic beverage that contains chromogens and tannins, two notorious substances for staining teeth.
• Tea: Another substance that is rich in tannins. Black tea is the worst for staining teeth while herbal, green, and white teas are much better.
• Sports drinks: This is a highly acidic drink that can severely soften tooth enamel.
• Soda: It is particularly likely to stain your teeth if you sip it at your desk all day.
• Berries: Intensely colored fruits such as blueberries, cranberries, blackberries, cherries, and grapes can lead to stains.
• Candies: Any sort of hard candy, gum, popsicle, or other sweets contain artificial coloring agents. A good rule of thumb to follow is that if it turns your tongue a funny color, it can do the same to your teeth.
You can minimize the effects these substances have on your teeth by drinking beverages through a straw and by rinsing your mouth out with water after a meal.